Allow image as % of page width, without maximum

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Simon Dismore

Allow image as % of page width, without maximum

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

The drop-down list for the 'Display Size' setting in the Open Image dialog offers:
  • Physical image size (100%)
  • % of physical image size
  • % of page width, maximum is physical size
  • Scaled to full page width (100%)
It would be helpful to have a page-relative size that isn't constrained by the physical size. This is because the physical size shown in an SVG file often isn't meaningful. I mean something like:
  • % of page width, ignoring physical size
Thanks for considering this.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Allow image as % of page width, without maximum

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

Good idea. That makes sense for vector graphics generally.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

This makes sense for vector graphics only. But it is possible already.

The term "% of page width" is not accurate, it means "% of the client width at this position". If you put the image into a table, you can set it to 100% of "page" width and control the image with the cell width. It will scale up and down without limitations. If the image is on its own paragraph, make it 100% and increase the left and right indent of this paragraph to control the actual width of the image.

There is just one scenario that does not work: if you want the image to be, say, 50% of the page width and let text around it flow freely (image alignment is left or right). However, you can create the SVG image in a way that it specifies a larger pyhsical width/height, because it scales without loss anyway. With such an "extra large" SVG, you can again use the "% of page width, maximum physical size".
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Alexander Halser wrote:If you put the image into a table, you can set it to 100% of "page" width and control the image with the cell width. It will scale up and down without limitations. If the image is on its own paragraph, make it 100% and increase the left and right indent of this paragraph to control the actual width of the image.
Hi Alex, thanks for responding.

The single cell table method works in a normal paragraph, but I don't think it works in an expanding text toggle because nested tables aren't that smart. The paragraph method would be OK if I could express the right indent as a percentage rather than absolute dimensions.

What I'm really after is the ability to have a static SVG image that will be correctly converted for all formats. In WebHelp and eWriter it would be treated as a responsive poster or toggle image, which when "played" is replaced by dynamic content, possibly at a larger size or in a lightbox. This is an HTML5 equivalent of OLE embedding. Obviously it's up to us to script the substitution etc, but it would be helpful if there could be a way to tell Help & Manual to ignore the SVG's internal size.

That is also my use case for asking you to support fragment identifiers in image URIs and SVG files as media posters.

Having created developer tools in my earlier life, I know how frustrating it is to find that every customer seems to use your product in different ways and makes different requests. Sorry! :?