When hovering over an entry in the PExplorer show tooltip

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: When hovering over an entry in the PExplorer show toolti

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tobias,

This is difficult because you appear to be the only person suffering from this problem. So at the moment we have no way of testing this. Are you running the standard 1511 version of windows or are you in the fast lane beta program? If it's not that it may really be something to do with the specific device you are working on. We currently do not have access to a surface pro 4, just my 3, and it works fine on that .

Have you tried a complete clean install, deleting all the HM registry keys before you install ?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tobias Escher wrote:I still have not found a way to get the tooltips back and now I fear other features are not working, either.
Is there anything I can do to find out what is preventing the tooltips from appearing?
Hi Tobias,

Just a longshot.

Have you tried using a different mouse? You may have a hardware fault in the mouse (or a corrupted mouse driver) sending MouseMove messages repeatedly (or maybe a shaky hand?).

In order for a tooltip to appear it is necessary for the mouse cursor to remain static over a control and send no move messages for a time interval (which is set in the TApplication.HintPause property in the program). The usual setting is 500mS (1/2 second), although in H&M I think Alexander has reduced it.

I have Windows10 on a Surface Pro 3, and tooltips are working fine, using a bluetooth mouse (or a USB mouse).

However, I have noticed erratic behaviour in the TOC when using the cover touchpad. Sometimes the wrong tooltip appears, or flashes on and off before I can read it. Quite often the the TOC entry changes to the boxed Edit Caption mode without my doing anything. I rarely use the touchpad, but I can imagine it would be annoying to use for H&M for any length of time.

regards,

Martin.
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

I am running the regular Windows 10 Pro on both my PC and the Surface Pro 4.
No beta. The Surface has no mouse, the PC has a Logitech MX Master with newest driver (3.30).
It happens on both PC and Surface.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Tim Green wrote:it may really be something to do with the specific device you are working on. We currently do not have access to a surface pro 4
I have tested today on the following configuration:
  • Surface Pro 4 i7 16GB
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit mainstream, fully patched, domain joined
  • H&M Pro 7.1.0 3885 in trial mode (plus Office 365 E3 and Acrobat XI if relevant)
  • no development or screen capture apps installed, except for the snipping tool.
Tooltips in TOC worked OK via:
  • Finger on screen
  • Pen on screen
  • Touchpad on type cover
  • Mouse on dock
  • Finger on attached full HD touchscreen.
The unit was purchased directly from the Microsoft Store, so there was no bloatware installed.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot for this. It sounds as though Tobias must have something installed on all his machines that is interfering in some way with the tool tips. That's the only explanation I can think of at the moment. Otherwise, the entire thing is completely bizarre.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

I found it: When I quit Rainmeter, tooltips appear.
The weird thing is: I have only been using Rainmeter for a few months and I have never seen these tooltips before.
But when Rainmeter is not open, Tooltips are there, so it definitely is that!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tobias,
I found it: When I quit Rainmeter, tooltips appear.
In my experience, all programs that change the way the Windows interface works cause problems sooner or later. Windows is such a complex web of legacy code, workarounds, patches and exceptions that changing anything from the outside is almost guaranteed to cause unexpected results somewhere, and those are very seldom something that you want. 8)
Regards,

Private support: