This page left intentionally blank and print v online pdfs

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Craig

Unread post by Craig »

It'd be great to insert text on left-hand blank pages when chapters are set to start on the right-hand page.

Another suggestion, not as important but potentially very useful: have different pdf settings for printed manuals vs. online manuals so both can be generated and settings can be easily maintained.

Thanks.

Craig

BTW -- We really like H&M, and we've referred several folks because we are so satisfied. Keep up the great work!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: This page left intentionally blank and print v online pd

Unread post by Tim Green »

Craig wrote:Another suggestion, not as important but potentially very useful: have different pdf settings for printed manuals vs. online manuals so both can be generated and settings can be easily maintained.
Craig,

This is already possible: Just save a copy of your print manual template under a different name in the Print Manual Designer and then edit it for the second output format. To switch between templates go to Project > Project Properties > Adobe PDF Export > PDF Layout > Print Manual Template.

Using the command line options you can also create a batch file to output both versions automatically, one with one template and one with the other. See Using More Advanced Features > Command Line Options in the H&M help for details. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Craig

Unread post by Craig »

I know about the manual templates, and I take advantage of that already. But there are also other PDF settings one must set/reset each time, and since we don't use the program all the time, sometimes we forget what settings we need to use.

So, that combination is exactly what I was looking to avoid, and it seems like a relatively easy to implement feature since all the functionality is already there.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Craig,

That's true -- in fact, a general profiles feature covering all H&M's adjustable settings might be a good idea. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

I will join this wish in both parts, having a left hand page template and a different setting for "online" and "printing" pdf.

In my opinion "online" pdf is for printing one page per sheet. Chapters will start on next page and the borders are not mirrored. "printing" pdf is for printing two pages per sheet. Chapters will start on odd pages and may therefore have a blank page preceeding it and the borders will be mirrored.
Waldemar
Tim Green
Site Admin

Waldemar,

The "page per sheet" setting for online PDFs is already available. Just select "Ignore blank pages in PDF file" in Project > Project Properties > Adobe PDF Export > PDF Layout.

It's also quite easy to achieve all the different settings you want for online and print PDF templates. Just make a copy of your print manual template in the Print Manual Designer and edit it accordingly for the other output. Then you just select the template you want to use when you output, also in Project > Project Properties > Adobe PDF Export > PDF Layout.

If you do this a lot you can automate output generation with template selection by writing two little batch files using the command line feature. For more details see Using More Advanced Features > Command Line Options the H&M help.
Regards,

Private support: