Mercurial Support.

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Steve Gill

Mercurial Support.

Unread post by Steve Gill »

My contribution to the wish list is that I would like to see Mercurial added as a version control option. :)

Thanks.

Regards,

Steve
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Mercurial Support.

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting this. Mercurial is definitely interesting -- for systems like Help+Manual you could say it is Git without the pain, and its limitations are not really things that would be a problem for HM. The real problems are demand and acceptance: Adding support for a version control system is a lot (really, a LOT) of work, so adding support for Mercurial wouldn't be a viable proposition if only a handful of customers actually use it. Git would be more of a pain, but demand for it is very high; we get requests for it all the time. Git has a much, much larger user base and supporting it would also open up the possibility of putting Help+Manual projects on GitHub.

So we're definitely looking into Mercurial, but I can't at the moment promise what will or won't come of it... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Simon Dismore

Re: Mercurial Support vs Github

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Tim Green wrote:possibility of putting Help+Manual projects on GitHub
The ability to share sample projects efficiently via github pages could be very good for your reputation. But supporting git/github would require extra time and resources, and it might be necessary to offer a free version – e.g. for 10 topics or fewer – so that interested parties could play with the samples. To prevent the free edition from cannibalizing sales of H&M licences (e.g. for use by reviewers in large projects) might require technical measures that would impact normal use.

It's not an entirely straightforward choice. With pricing the devil is always in the details, so good luck with that...
Steve Gill

Unread post by Steve Gill »

Tim Green wrote:So we're definitely looking into Mercurial, but I can't at the moment promise what will or won't come of it... :?
Thanks Tim. I'll continue to version control my H&M projects with Mercurial manually.

Regards,

Steve
Steffen Sledz

Unread post by Steffen Sledz »

Tim Green wrote:Git would be more of a pain, but demand for it is very high; we get requests for it all the time. Git has a much, much larger user base and ...
That's definitely right. Please try to realize the Git support with a high priority! A lot of people are wainting for this.

BTW: Is it really that pain? If I'm right the Subversion support is based on TortoiseSVN. There's also a TortoiseGIT available which I guess has a similiar interface.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Steffen Sledz wrote:BTW: Is it really that pain? If I'm right the Subversion support is based on TortoiseSVN. There's also a TortoiseGIT available which I guess has a similiar interface.
It's not quite that simple, and we've learned to be cautious about depending on Tortoise. They recently shuffled the libraries in their DLLs and removed a DLL we depended on without warning or documentation, which caused a lot of problems for the SVN support. There's a workaround available, but it involves installing the Collabnet command line client for 32 bit. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.