Search for (find) styles

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

hmotulsky

Search for (find) styles

Unread post by hmotulsky »

I've been working on the same projects for, I think, 20 years. When I drop the Style menu, there are lots of choices so I always have to scroll, even though I actually use only five styles. I am pretty sure most are never used, and others are only used once or twice. I'd like to clean this up. So I'd like:

1. A checkbox on the Style drop down to show only styles in use. The others would still be present in the data structures, just not shown in the drop down menu.

2. A way to search for (find) all occurrences of a style. If a style is only used a few times, I could then find those locations and edit to use a commonly-used style instead.

3. Ideally a way to truly delete unused styles. But if they can be hidden in the drop-down menu, actually deleting wouldn't matter much.

(As part of my clean up process, I'd also like a way to move all unreferenced images to a special folder, from which I can review, archive or delete. )
Harvey Motulsky
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Re: Search for (find) styles

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hello Harvey,

This is implemented already, in the "Replace Styles" tool (Styles dropdown menu). This dialog lets you replace one style or formatting with a different style. In case you just want to know, it can do a test run without actually changing the style. If the style has paragraph properties, make sure that you run the replace twice - for paragraph and font styles.
clip1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH