Spelling list highlight current item and other suggestions

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Greg Smith

Spelling list highlight current item and other suggestions

Unread post by Greg Smith »

When you have a lot of potential spelling errors to work through, it is easy to lose track of where you are in the list. Would it be possible to highlight the current item so you can see where you have got to?

Also, when correcting errors, the error highlighted in the spelling dialog is highlighted in the topic (good). When you click in the topic page, the highlight goes away. This can be very annoying, especially when the fix is to apply a style to cause the word to be ignored, or if you want to rewrite and the highlight vanishes so you lose track of where it was.

Also, why are the spelling errors listed in alphabetical order by topic ID (a random order, at least in my case)? Why not in topic order?

As this is technical documentation, I have lots of things that really only belong to this document/project. Is there a way to have a project dictionary and a button to add to it? Perhaps Ignore All could do this, rather than have the things you asked to ignore pop up every time you scan?

Can we have an option to ignore superscripts and subscripts, please? Yes, I know I can make this a named style...

Can we have an option to ignore words with multiple capitals?

Can we have an option to ignore words that are split because of a style change, leading to spurious spelling mistakes?

I have twice generated "List index out of bounds (nnn)" errors when working with spellings. In the last case I was fixing a problem where I had several words in a row that were considered spelling mistakes because they had styles applied to individual letters to indicate an acronym:

DBNZn (Decrement and Branch if Not Zero)

with the S, B N and Z in separate fonts. I selected all of the bracketed text and made it my Normal style (to fix the spelling error, at the cost of not being what I wanted), and got the List index out of bounds (I think when I clicked to the Spelling dialog box to move to the next error).
Greg Smith

Re: Spelling list highlight current item and other suggestio

Unread post by Greg Smith »

It can happen that the spell checker lists a topic, but then does not show any spelling errors. I am told that this can happen when there is an error in the Title or in the Keywords... The trouble is I cannot find any of these errors. Either tell us where the error is, or do not report it as an error, please.