Numbering in tables

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Numbering in tables

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Would be a very useful addition, as per this request:

https://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtopic.php?t=12406

That was a few years ago, so I'm guessing it's not possible?

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Numbering in tables

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is not currently on the radar. As explained in the original thread, each table cell is effectively a separate document, so continuing numbering across them is problematic. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

I've been thinking about this problem as it's the only thing that frustrates me with H&M.

At the moment you can create <%A++%> and you have your own number list. This is fine if you just want

but not

Is there a way we, well you, could create the latter option, something like <%A.A++%>? The first A would have to relate to the A in <%A++%>

I guess that wouldn't work as the A isn't being looked for in that variable.

I suppose you could have <%A++%>.<%B++%> but it gets vastly complicated if you have frequent amendments.

I don't know, I'm just speaking out aloud. :frustration:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Is there a way we, well you, could create the latter option, something like <%A.A++%>? The first A would have to relate to the A in <%A++%>
Sorry, but this doesn't work with the current numbering variables. They are really just dumb placeholders that get incremented on every occurrence. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote:
Sorry, but this doesn't work with the current numbering variables. They are really just dumb placeholders that get incremented on every occurrence. :?
I don't know what to say then, apart from the fact that you didn't used to be able to use conditional tags across more than one cell either... :wink:

Anyway, it's a big shame that something can't be resolved, or alternative methods found as, so far for me, this appears to be H&M's only big weakness.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote:so far for me, this appears to be H&M's only big weakness.
Then it must have fewer weaknesses than any other software application in existence... 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote:
Ga Bowen wrote:so far for me, this appears to be H&M's only big weakness.
Then it must have fewer weaknesses than any other software application in existence... 8)
You'll hear no arguments from me. 8)
Ga Bowen

In Excel you can select a couple of cells and then drag those cells along others and it will auto-fill them.

I think I know the answer, as obviously all the cells in an Excel document are linked, but is this possible?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote:In Excel you can select a couple of cells and then drag those cells along others and it will auto-fill them.
I think I know the answer, as obviously all the cells in an Excel document are linked, but is this possible?
No, this isn't possible in Help+Manual. You can copy and paste multiple cells, but the tables are still static word-processing tables. A spreadsheet is a completely different animal; that is why you have programs like Excel. 8)
Regards,

Private support: