Responsive initial toggle state

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mark Wilsdorf

Responsive initial toggle state

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

I use Expanding Text toggles a lot, almost always to toggle a table which contains text. It would be nice if the initial expanded/collapsed state of Toggles could optionally be responsive, such that if the Webhelp is being displayed in a desk_tablet environment some toggles (ones set to observe the display-time environment) could initially be expanded, or in a phone environment they could initially be collapsed.

I realize I could achieve this now by duplicating all content on a page in each of two separate surrounding tables, one for desk_tablet content and one for phone content. But editing and maintaining that would be a lot messier than it ought to be.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Responsive initial toggle state

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mark,

I can understand the wish for this in certain circumstances. Unfortunately, this is probably one of the things that won't get implemented because it adds complexity to the user interface for something that is almost never used. It would have to be configurable in the toggle dialog in Help+Manual itself, and that would have to include a proviso that the setting is only supported in some skins. Already not good. Then there is the added issue that by definition, drop-down toggles should really always be closed on opening a page. That is their whole reason for existing. If they are open you take away from the user the benefit of having a quick overview of the content and being able to choose whether they want to read more or not -- then you can just as well not use a toggle at all. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Mark Wilsdorf

Re: Responsive initial toggle state

Unread post by Mark Wilsdorf »

Thanks Tim...I assumed that might be the case.