Add "Comment" capability for Topics

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mehrenst

Add "Comment" capability for Topics

Unread post by mehrenst »

As I re-work an existing project (up-version) I find that I often need to make changes to a Topics in bits and pieces because I'm chasing development. The ability to flag Topics (Review, Out of Date, etc.) is very useful but it would be a great to be able to attach a "comment" (ala Word) to the Topic as a reminder about what is still outstanding. (I keep loosing my crib sheets. :oops: )

Ideally the comment would be linked to the TOC item and then Topic Status.
Martin Wynne

Re: Add "Comment" capability for Topics

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

mehrenst wrote:... it would be a great to be able to attach a "comment" (ala Word) to the Topic as a reminder about what is still outstanding.
Hi,

Have you tried the Project > Bookmarks... options?

Martin.
mehrenst

Comment? no-comment

I am :oops: doubly :oops: embarassed. I was thinking bookmarks were more like the ones in Word and didn't look too closely. The Bookmark in H&M meets all my needs and even more since I can set them to nag me :roll: everytime I open the project.

Thanks for the pointer. :D
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

While we are at this topic...

How many of you do actually use the "bookmark" feature and what do you use it for? We think of changing the unlucky bookmark feature to a simple comment feature - an extra field that is attached to topic. There is already a similar comment field in Project|Properties for the entire project.

The benefit of such a comment field would be that it is meant to to be kept with the topic, that it can be searched and topic with comments can be filtered. The comment field could be displayed below the topic text at design time. I especially find that useful to include instructions for external help writers and translators. The biggest difference is that it doesn't have an associated date stamp.

So, am I missing anything here? Do you use that function for other purposes?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
jeff

Unread post by jeff »

Comment fields in addition to the Bookmarks would be very helpful when designing and maintenance of projects. I use the bookmarks to make notes to my employees about their topics or project, so it is very helpful in a managerial sense.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

I never used the "bookmark" feature. I do not need to share the help project with other people and the topic status gives me the hint which topics are ot ready.
Waldemar
mehrenst

Now that I know about bookmarks...

WOW :!: My eyes have been opened :shock:

IMHO, Bookmarks are better than comments.

Three suggestions.

#1. Provide a button on the Bookmarks dialog box that will allow you to open the Bookmarks listing. (Just like you get if you set the bookmarks to display on Project Open.)

#2. Add the ability to include Bookmarks in the Reports. (Maybe a check box.)

Both of the above relate to printing Bookmarks so the hardcopy can be used as a "check list" to gather material for Topics.

#3. Possibly a global "Display Bookmarks on Project Open" should be a Project Level check box. In this way you would get a summary of all Bookmarks when you opened the project and then you could use specific listings to trigger other Bookmark display opprotunities. Personally, I would use the Global Project Open (as a nag :twisted: ) and then Topic Open or Date options for individual Bookmarks.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Thanks for your comments! So my conclusion is the following: comments for topics are a nice feature but a bookmark list is also necessary, to have an overview of all existing bookmarks... well, that's pretty much the way it works now :o
#1. Provide a button on the Bookmarks dialog box that will allow you to open the Bookmarks listing
The button next to the bookmarks combobox on the toolbar opens the bookmarks overview dialog.
#3. Possibly a global "Display Bookmarks on Project Open" should be a Project Level check box
Well, not a nag screen. Click on the drop-down arrow of the bookmarks combobox on the toolbar to see all bookmarks.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH