Add options to Word RTF import in File > Import

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Add options to Word RTF import in File > Import

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Background objective:
Import an RTF document into a specific location within an existing H+M project that is open -- that is, use import to add to current topics, rather than create a new H+M project. Right now, File > Import will add to an existing project, but the addition is appended to the end of the project's TOC... and if there any subheads, text under the subs become child topics.

Options I'd like to see added:
1. In addition to the current action (create a new parent topic, then new child topics whenever the parser encounters any heading style in the RTF), direct the import routine to treat all headings in the RTF doc that are subordinate to the level of Heading 1 (Heading 2, Heading 3, etc.) as subheads. IOW, convert the RTF into a single H+M topic with subheads.

2. Add to option to append at the current cursor position in the H+M project, rather than creating a new topic at the end of the current project's TOC.

3. Add granularity to the Style mapping option.

The primary need for 3. is to handle things like font changes. This might be a hopeless request due to complexity, since the import routine would have to look into the RTF and identify potentially anomalous details. Our content writers indicate code examples by changing the Word Normal style font to Courier rather than using a discrete Word style, since Word -- at least my aging Word 2010 -- doesn't automatically contain a "code" style. I'd like to be able to map all text in Courier in the RTF to H+M's handy Code Example style.
Simon_Dismore

Re: Add options to Word RTF import in File > Import

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Dave Gehman wrote:I'd like to be able to map all text in Courier in the RTF to H+M's handy Code Example style.
Just an FYI that if if you create a Code Example style in Word, you can replace the Courier font with it.
Replace_Courier_New_font_with_Code_Example_style.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Gehman

Simon, thanks, but in this case I'd have either to direct 10-15 people to create the new style, or painstakingly wrestle with their Word documents just before import into H+M. Our group is adept at engineering software, but most of them know almost nothing about setting options in Word. Half of them, I find to my surprise, don't understand or use styles. That's despite their ability to set dozens of computer process control options in finite analysis programs.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Dave Gehman wrote:...most of them know almost nothing about setting options in Word. Half of them, I find to my surprise, don't understand or use styles...
Would be nice if Microsoft had a way to restrict files (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) so that inline formatting couldn't be applied and only existing styles used, wouldn't it?

In the meantime, what do you think of my Single-topic editor that contributors can use free question? Would that help in situations like yours?
Dave Gehman

Looks like a good idea.

We're a virtual company (no headquarters LAN; we use the Web) and facing increasing need to have subject experts write initial topic material. The H+M network version works in a LAN, so it's not a viable option right now.

It's usually 2-5 experts per subject. Our best people are in Minsk, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, and Japan. They currently feel hampered because we can't economically provide editing capabilities to them directly. Something like what you're proposing might be the solution.