Topic context menu – add "publish topic" function

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

Topic context menu – add "publish topic" function

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Publishing currently is possible only for TOC entries.

I am reworking quite a lot of topics that are only used as (paragraph) snippets. To check how they look like when published, I have to drag & drop each of them to the TOC to create a "dummy" entry, go to "Publish" and then "Publish now" — of course just the selected TOC entries. When I am satisfied, I have to delete the TOC entry, while making sure not to forget to uncheck the "Also delete referred topic file" option which is dangerously preselected and not displayed prominently enough, taking into accout the risk associated with leaving this option checked by mistake (but that is another issue).

What I am missing is a context menu option for topic files: "Publish topic". It should just publish this single topic, using the current settings for templates, output file name, include builds etc., thus saving us from the need to create a TOC entry first, and from the risks from having to delete this temporary TOC entry afterwards.

Thank you for considering.
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Topic context menu – add "publish topic" function

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rainer,

Definitely a good idea. Thanks. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.