"Send to" function in TOC

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

"Send to" function in TOC

Unread post by John Johann »

I have some TOCs with chapters with large amounts of topics.
When changing the structure, I sometimes have to "scroll for miles" to move a topic from one TOC level to a different one.

It would be nice to have a "Send To" function in the context menu of the TOC entry listing the other main chapters in the TOC.
Ga Bowen

Re: "Send to" function in TOC

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

+1

I too like this idea.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

Interesting idea. However, there's already a faster way of achieving almost exactly what you want:
  1. First set up a keyboard shortcut for the Find a Topic feature, which locates topics by ID or context number. You can do this in View > Program Options > Shortcuts. The feature is under the Topics heading and is called "Find a topic by name or context number". (In the Ribbon its in the Project tab: Manage Topics > Find)
  2. Select the topic or chapter you want to move in the TOC and press CTRL+X to cut it to the clipboard.
  3. Press the keyboard shortcut you created in (1) and locate the topic by its ID.
  4. Click in the TOC and press CTRL+V to paste.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to experiment some more with this.

Does the target chapter have to be expanded for the paste operation to paste to the correct location?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,
Does the target chapter have to be expanded for the paste operation to paste to the correct location?
No, it will be inserted after the selected item in the TOC, and not as a child. So if you select at topic it will be inserted after that topic, on the same level as the topic. If you select a chapter it will be inserted after the chapter, on the same level as the chapter.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Ok. Thanks for confirming this.
I have placeholder topics with a known name pattern in the chapters which I was going to delete -- but now I'll keep them and use them instead of the main chapters.