HelpXplain audio and external text translation

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

markusflow

HelpXplain audio and external text translation

Unread post by markusflow »

First: Congratulations for the release of HelpXplain.
I think HelpXplain could solve some ongoing problems overhere.

This is why I am asking right away if something is planned here: one major feature and one minor feature (to solve our problems) is missing

1) Ability to add audio/record audio to a slide (after the recording)!?
2) For screencasts with more text, we would like to be able to translate the text outside of HelpXplain in an translation format like XLIFF or be able to translate a text file. Any plans here?

Again, congrats and keep up the good work.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HelpXplain audio and external text translation

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the kind words! Audio is already on our wish list for an updated version. It just wasn't possible to add it in the initial release. As for translation, did you notice that the amazingly good DeepL machine translation is already included as a fully-integrated option?. See here in the help for details:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/gf_inter ... ation.html

As for the text, you can access it directly if you unpack the .xplain (it is a regular ZIP archive) and edit text tag contents in the image.xml file it contains. That probably isn't the best option, however. I'll check on possible plans for text export/import and get back to you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
markusflow

Thanks for your reply, Tim.
Audio: Perfect.

Translation: Accessing image.xml is a suitable solution for us. Thanks for the hint!
I saw the Deepl integration, sure. But if text is used here, we want to be able to add it to our Translation Memories.

Thanks a lot. That all seems very promising.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Markus,

We have put a few features on the back burner to get the release out on the street. But we expect to deliver several updates of HelpXplain over the next weeks and months. Some features that are already on the wish list are:
  • Slide audio overlays and general background audio. Perhaps with a recording function - we've got to check this legally first - but certainly a method to add a voice over to every slide.
  • Translation roundtrip - we plan to include XLIFF export and import.
  • Video - that's not a fixstarter, but remains to be considered: a video object to use local and/or YouTube videos in slides.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
markusflow

Alexander Halser wrote:Hi Markus,

We have put a few features on the back burner to get the release out on the street. But we expect to deliver several updates of HelpXplain over the next weeks and months. Some features that are already on the wish list are:
  • Slide audio overlays and general background audio. Perhaps with a recording function - we've got to check this legally first - but certainly a method to add a voice over to every slide.
  • Translation roundtrip - we plan to include XLIFF export and import.
  • Video - that's not a fixstarter, but remains to be considered: a video object to use local and/or YouTube videos in slides.
Hi Alexander, +1 for these wish list features from my side. :D
Thanks for your reply.