Chapter numbering in a pdf

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Chapter numbering in a pdf

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

To me numbering a pdf by chapter seems overly complicated.

Currently you have to manipulate them in individual topics. This is problematic if you have many topics or use conditional tags.

Also you can't just name the first image and table <%HMFIG/TBLCOUNTER/=1%> because there might be references to them earlier in the text. Again, problematic if you use conditional tags.

I don't know how H+M works, but surely they must be a way of implementing an option of automatic number reset in a new chapter?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Chapter numbering in a pdf

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gareth,

Chapter numbering in PDF is fully automatic in Help+Manual. It is all done in the PDF template, not in the project. See the Print Manual Designer help chapters on the Table of Contents and Topics sections (sub-chapters of Designing a Template).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

I've not explained this well. The chapter numbering I'm happy with. It's the references within a chapter/topic that is the problem.

For example, I number figures in the format Chapter-Fig. No. (<%NUMBERING1%>-<%HMFIGCOUNTER%>)

The first figure in every chapter/topic I have to name <%HMFIGCOUNTER=1%> to reset the counter.

This is problematic because using conditional tags mean this topic might not necessarily always be the first in the chapter.

Conditional tags within the document also cause problems if they contain references to the image.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gareth,

References to counter variables are definitely problematic because they are not yet automated.
This is problematic because using conditional tags mean this topic might not necessarily always be the first in the chapter.

Conditional tags within the document also cause problems if they contain references to the image.
Under those circumstances -- i.e. if the conditions are going to exclude or include text that includes counter variables -- I would avoid referencing the counter variables at all. Even if you're checking on them manually, the likelihood that there will be an error caused by the inclusions or exclusions is just too high. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Tim Green wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:33 am Hi Gareth,

References to counter variables are definitely problematic because they are not yet automated.

Under those circumstances -- i.e. if the conditions are going to exclude or include text that includes counter variables -- I would avoid referencing the counter variables at all. Even if you're checking on them manually, the likelihood that there will be an error caused by the inclusions or exclusions is just too high. :?
Hence me putting this on the Wish List.

I obviously can't tell the customer that there aren't any figure or table references early on because the publishing software won't allow it, but I don't want to stop using conditions either. I just thought maybe it was something that someone could think about.

I'm surprised no one else has the problem, but if I'm in the minority I'll just have to suck it up I suppose. :lol:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Gareth,
Tim Green wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:33 am Hence me putting this on the Wish List.
Yes, I can understand that all too well. This is already on the ToDo List but getting it right is horrendously complicated if you want to avoid having to re-render the PDF multiple times on every publish. So it's a case of five steps forward, four and a half back while working towards the goal... 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Ga Bowen

Sorry, I know you're only helping me understand exactly the problem.

Your help and effort is appreciated, as always. :)