Disable build by Status

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ray Rippey

Disable build by Status

Unread post by Ray Rippey »

It would be nice to have the ability of a status to not build. For instance Under Construction could have a check to NOT Build (any build).

I realize that you can just edit the 'Include in Builds' which is great especially if you're going to have some or all not build, so no reason to have the different build types under each status, just a 'none' build. This would simplify the process a lot.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Disable build by Status

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ray,

This is already supported. Look in the Publish screen under the Include Options box and you will see a checkbox called Publish topics with status "Complete" only. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ray Rippey

Unread post by Ray Rippey »

Yes, I did see that earlier. It doesn't quite accomplish what I would like. For instance I have many topics that I need to do some editing or make some new screenshots, but I still want them published, so I need to mark them as such, and of course they're not marked completed. However, I would like a status (or two) that I know won't be published, I can tell by the status color.

My thinking was to have a check field in the custom status area (which would default to publish of course) that could be unchecked. The 'only publish completed' would override these settings like it does now. This would give maximum flexibility in publishing based on status.

Thanks for considering.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ray,

You can easily achieve this by disabling the build options of the topics you don't want to publish. Right-click on the topic in the TOC, then disable all build options in the Include in Builds context menu, in addition to your status.

If you had a status that prevented publication you would also have to go through manually and change the status when you want to publish, so this is effectively the same thing, but without the added complexity of adding yet another status type with yet another functionality that needs yet more explanation that will be ignored and cause people to complain that their topics are not publishing. That's not something we're going to implement. :twisted:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.