Space after an image

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Space after an image

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

If I have a text paragraph, then an image alone on a line, the a paragraph of text, the spacing is not the same in the CHM and PDF.

If I want it to look good in the CHM I must insert a blank line between the first paragraph and the image, but not blank line between the image and the second paragraph. For example :

efoyhfao8dfuadshfuhafuaf
adsfadsfasdfasdfadsfasdffa

:oops: :P :x :shock: :? 8)
retwuret98wure89tuw98reu
wretwretwretwertwrtwretwr

Then, in the CHM it looks like :

efoyhfao8dfuadshfuhafuaf
adsfadsfasdfasdfadsfasdffa

:oops: :P :x :shock: :? 8)

retwuret98wure89tuw98reu
wretwretwretwertwrtwretwr

But if I do this then the image is too close to the second paragraph in the PDF. Am I missing something ?
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I've noticed this too. My suspicion is that it has something to do with HTML, which is (and always has been) totally prehistoric as regards vertical spacing. Whoever is responsible for the implementation of HTML seems to think that huge vertical spaces between both paragraphs and all other elements on the page are always both necessary and desirable. Virtually all affected HTML tags, particularly <p>, default to ridiculously large vertical spacing values which you have to suppress with additional code.

It would naturally be much better to have the default be no vertical spacing at all, so that you can add spacing if and when you need it, just as you do in any normal word processor.

This has always been one of my pet peeves with HTML... :evil:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.