Making PDF topic titles independent of TOC titles

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Making PDF topic titles independent of TOC titles

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

I try to make my TOC as concise as possible, and then I change the CHM topic to be longer. For example, in my TOC I might have the following structure :

Tokens
|------Day
|------Week
|------Month
|------Year

The title of my help topic for Week would be "Week Tokens", not simply "Week". I can make the CHM and HTM topics differ from those of the TOC, but in the PDF (where the tree structure is usually not synchronized) I am left with "Week" as a topic ... not very informative.

I understand that part of the problem is that the CHM header is RTF, but then could we have a separate plain-text field where the PDF/Printed topic title could be adjusted ?
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Olivier,

does the TOC of your (good) example automatically expand? The PDFs created with H&M do not expand in Acrobat (and I do not even know whether this is possible at all), but the current position is highlighted and bold.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Olivier Beltrami

Alexander Halser wrote:does the TOC of your (good) example automatically expand?
Ooops !

I looked at my PDF proposals from 1999 and 2000 and they were set to full-auto-expand, so the syncronization was good. But these were 10 page documents. For my 650 page manual, I really do not think that full-auto-expand is appropriate.

Sorry for this. :oops:
Olivier Beltrami
Olivier Beltrami

Special Field for PDF Titles

It seems we discussed another one of my posts, but never really discussed the original post at the top of this list.
Olivier Beltrami
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

The thread seems to have been scrambled. I just have no good solution for your request, Olivier. The headings in the manual are a very different information than the topic header: while it is guaranteed that even chapters without text have a heading, only topics have a header. Even if there were a variable like <TOPICHEADERTEXT>, where would you put it in? This variable would be empty when a chapter without text is printed resp. it would be filled with the topic header from the next topic.

If your help structure looks this way:

Top level chapter without text
---Sub-chapter without text
------The actual topic with header

The printout (if using the topic header instead of the headings) would be:

Header of topic
---Header of topic
------Header of topic

Not a really good solution...
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Olivier Beltrami

I was not looking for an automated way of having H&M generate these headers. Just the possibility, like we have for CHM and HLP topics, to manually change the header text from the default value (the value of the TOC)
Olivier Beltrami