Image Autonumbering

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Curtis Reimer

Image Autonumbering

Unread post by Curtis Reimer »

It would be nice to be able to autonumber image captions, especially for use within the printed manual / PDF formats.

Creating a Table of Figures would be a bonus.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I am not so sure that this would really be a great function. Here are my considerations:

a) Most users who use image captions have implemented this with normal text. Help & Manual cannot automatically recognize this.

b) An image is an image. Help & Manual cannot really determine whether an image is a real "figure" or it's just a small illustration. You would not want your illustrations or product logos to be enumerated, do you?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This would work if you created a new insert category called Figure. Then you would select either "Insert Image" (no numbering, no caption) or "Insert Figure" (numbering can be switched on or off, numbering starting number can be defined and restarted at any point, caption can be switched on or off and edited, caption formatting can be defined). :twisted:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Berry

Image autonumbering

Unread post by Dave Berry »

Tim Green wrote:This would work if you created a new insert category called Figure. Then you would select either "Insert Image" (no numbering, no caption) or "Insert Figure" (numbering can be switched on or off, numbering starting number can be defined and restarted at any point, caption can be switched on or off and edited, caption formatting can be defined). :twisted:
I agree with Tim's input. This option would be quite beneficial especially for the "Print Manual" version of the PDF. However, great care must be taken in the implementation of this feature. I would like the ability to "Insert Figure" but we would need total control of the numbering and caption information. For example, I don't want to get tied down to "someone's idea of where the caption should be" or "how the figure should be numbered". If we get this feature, please build in total flexibility. :)
Dave B.
evalua

Figure Autonumbering and More

Unread post by evalua »

Hi,

I agree with Tim and Dave, but would like this functionality to be extended to include the automatic table numbering as well.

The author should then be able to insert cross references to these figures and tables in the document text. The cross-references should automatically be updated by H&M as new figures or tables are inserted into the document.
rfossella

Unread post by rfossella »

Hello,

Saw apost from a while ago regarding auto-numbering diagrams/illustrations. Was this ever implemeted? I do not see it anywhere in the manual

Thanks.
Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Rob,

This is on the Wish List but I can't say when it will be implemented -- the Wish List is currently quite long and includes some features that require significant programming hours...
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rfossella

Unread post by rfossella »

OK, thanks for the update Tim.

So, just to be sure, if I want to number pics/diagrams as part of chapters, sections, subsections, etc., I would need to do this manually?

Thanks again.
Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

rfossella wrote:So, just to be sure, if I want to number pics/diagrams as part of chapters, sections, subsections, etc., I would need to do this manually?
Yes, and if you do do this remember that adding or removing any items in the sequence will mean that you will have to manually renumber all the items that come after it... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Shane MacLaughlin

Another approach to image numbering

Unread post by Shane MacLaughlin »

Hi Tim,

I just had a colleague bring it to my attention that we couldn't auto-number images, which kind of surprised me. One possibly easier implementation to this issue would be to add a couple of simple user text variables to support counters.

For example,

SetCounter1 <Value>, would get replaced in the text as <Value>
AddCounter1 <Value>, would add <Value> to Counter1 and display the result in the text

We do this type of processing all the time in our own software (land survey / civil engineering), and it is popular with the users and pretty easy to implement. I'd say 10 user defined counters would be plenty for most users needs,

best regards,

Shane
Sebastian

Unread post by Sebastian »

[quote="Alexander Halser"]I am not so sure that this would really be a great function.

I already asked about autonumbering some time ago and I'm still waiting for that functionality to appear. In my opionion this is the most important functionality that H&M lacks. My company prepares manuals with some 200 and more images and we all number them by hand, which becomes more and more anoying. It becomes even more troublesome when I have to put some extra images in the middle of some long chapters with some 40 or 50 images - I try to use level numbering in order no to renumber 200 images but only 40 or 50, but still it takes a lot of time and it is easy to make and miss some gaps in numbers. Could you please tell me whether and when you plan to add autonumbering, as this issue is of much importance for the technical writers in our company.