Creating pdf from xml file using Help&Manual

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

ilde

Creating pdf from xml file using Help&Manual

Unread post by ilde »

Hi,

we have a system to generate a xml document using h&m syntax. Now i would like to compile that xml file. Is there a way to compile the xml file using command line mode?.

I am triying do this initially with a hmx file using automation but it doesnt work. Here is the code in delphi language:

var
aHMInstance : THMInstance;
begin
aHMInstance := CreateServer('pp');
if OpenProject(aHMInstance,pchar(extractfiledir(application.exename) + '\test.hmx')) = true then
begin
CompileProject(aHMInstance,'popo.pdf','logfile.log',HMCOMPILEFORMAT_PDF,'',false);
end;

CloseProject(aHMInstance,true);
CloseServer(aHMInstance);

Any idea

Best regards
ilde
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

we have a system to generate a xml document using h&m syntax. Now i would like to compile that xml file. Is there a way to compile the xml file using command line mode?.
Not directly from the XML file, you need to import this into Help & Manual before you can compile the PDF.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
ilde

Unread post by ilde »

Is there a plan to add that functionallity to helpman.exe?

Could you inform about that? Because i have to develop a system which that functionallity and then i would find other ways to do that

Best Regards
ilde
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Is there a plan to add that functionallity to helpman.exe?
Which functionality would you like to add?
Alexander Halser
ilde

Unread post by ilde »

It could be interesting can import a exported xml project and compile it using automation or command line mode.

Best regards
ilde
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

I see. Thanks for clearification! :D
We actually plan to - optionally - replace the HMX format with plain XML, so that an import is not necessary. XML would be the source.
Alexander Halser
ilde

Unread post by ilde »

It would be fantastic

Do you have a road map for that functionallity? (one month, few weeks, .... for schedule myself. We have to finish our system soon and maybe we need to look for other solutions)

Best regards
ilde
Rennie Petersen

I want it too!

Unread post by Rennie Petersen »

This is very high on my list of wanted features too.

Without it I have to put the HMX files in Subversion to copy them from the human-development folders to the automated-build folders, and that is very unfortunate for several reasons. (Inefficient storage usage, no revision diff ability.)

Rennie
ilde

Delphi component to create XML help&manual project files

Unread post by ilde »

Hi,

we were doing a delphi component that can generate a xml help&manual native file project.
With really simple procedures like (createnewparagraph, createnewchapter, addcontent, etc... and savexml file) we are able to create a xml file to import into help&manual. Is almost finished so if someone want to use it please tell us to put into a web site for free download.

if we could compile it automatically it will be fantastic!! (not manually import into help&manual)

Best regards
ilde