Conversion of H&M4 Topic templates

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

waldemar.hersacher

Conversion of H&M4 Topic templates

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

I have a machine with only H&M 5 installed. I'm converting all projects from H&M 4 which is working fine. Also I have some Topic templates (*.hmtopic) which seems I don't have any chance to convert to the new format.
Waldemar
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Waldemar,

Load them into topics in a dummy HM4 project with Load Topic from File, then save the HM4 project, convert it to HM5 and then create your new templates there with Save Topic to File.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

Hi Tim,

that's the way it will work. I have to do this on another machine where I have HM4 installed.

But it would be nice if the converter could convert hmtopic files to xml files.
Waldemar
charlotte

Re: Conversion of H&M4 Topic templates

Unread post by charlotte »

Hi Tim

What shall I do - I am a newbie trying to learn how to use H&M yesterday, mostly using your tutorials - tx you. Unfortunately many of them have scripted for H&M vs 4. I only have vs. 5. :(

How do I load a topic ".hmtopic" into a H&M vs 5. project file?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Charlotte
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Conversion of H&M4 Topic templates

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Charlotte,

Most of the time you should not need to do this. However, if you really need to you should save your HM4 topic as an XML file instead of .hmtopic, then you can load it into Help & Manual 5 directly.

Again, however: You should never need to do this to learn Help & Manual. The great majority of the HM4 tutorials on the forum are likely to be irrelevant for HM5 and all the tutorials in the Examples folder are already adapted for HM5. You can find this folder in your Documents directory, inside the My HelpAndManual Projects folder.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.