Second (optional) Table of Contents section in PDF

Nothing is perfect! This is where you can post your ideas and wishes for functions you'd like to see in Help & Manual. Current version only please (H&M7).

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Second (optional) Table of Contents section in PDF

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

My owner's manual is currently at 914 pages, with 33 top-level chapters, and the Table of Contents runs over 22 pages. This is nice for a detailed search, but not so good to get a quick overview. :?

One solution I have seen in many programming books is to have 2 TOC : a first one that only shows the Level1 topics and page numbers, and a second one that shows, for example, Levels 1-3.

Would it be possible to have an additional section in the H&M Designer called TOC2 which would be optional (as all sections are) and would work exactly as the TOC1 currently does ?
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Olivier Beltrami

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

Did my above suggestion not strike a chord with anyone ?
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
John Smith

Unread post by John Smith »

I can see the advantage of having this, as my help file grows.

I would prefer the second TOC to come near the end of my document, say prior to keyword search, with a default of never printed.

You could then edit the 1st TOC, and remove all the objects referring to Level 2,3,4, etc topics, just leaving level 1 topics, then allow printing for the second TOC.

Personally, I would not want to look through a top level toc, and then look through a toc coving all lower level topics, before actually getting to the topics.

hmm not sure if you can already change the order of predefined sections, but it would be great if you could. That would allow greater flexibility and allow you to have your second TOC where ever you wanted it. As a further plus, you could move spare title or end pages (notes) around to front or back which may be more useful.