Jump to URL

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tim searle

Jump to URL

Unread post by tim searle »

Hi, I've been using H&M for a couple of years but only part time as help file is just one part of my work - hence I don't get too far with a lot of the detail or techy stuff. One of our new customers objects to using the .chm file becaue of the 'Jump to URL' link available from the title bar - they reckon it is a security risk.
Is there any way to disable this or a better file format to use instead ?
Thanks
Tim
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Jump to URL

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

You can turn off all the buttons in the CHM viewer interface in Configuration > Common Properties > Help Windows: HTML Help (CHM) Options. However, calling the Jump buttons a security hazard is quite a long stretch: They can only jump to a single URL, and even then only if you actually program in the link in these settings. Otherwise they do nothing at all. Note that in addition to Jump 1 an Jump 2 you can also program the Home button to visit an URL, but by default that will take the user to the default topic in your project. You can also program these buttons to take the user to any topic in your project by entering the Topic ID of the topic as the target, with ".htm" tacked onto it as an extension. So if you want the Jump 1 button to visit "Introduction" the target would be "introduction.htm".
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tim searle

Unread post by tim searle »

Thanks Tim,
Yes I can see the option to turn off the buttons but can still right-click on the title bar, or on the ? in top left hand corner, and get the Jump to URL option.
I tend to agree that the risk is small but unfortunately the client doesn't agree - guess people are just extra jumpy (no pun) at the moment.
Regards
Tim
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,
I tend to agree that the risk is small but unfortunately the client doesn't agree - guess people are just extra jumpy (no pun) at the moment.
If they think that is risky then they need to delete all the CHM files on their computers, including all the help for Windows itself. All CHM files have this feature and it doesn't actually do anything at all. It can only jump to a URL that the user enters after selecting the function. Similarly, they should also uninstall Internet Explorer (good luck with that) and all other web browsers on their computers, because the feature is the same as the address bar on your browser. It can only go somewhere when the user enters and address there. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.