HTML advice

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mike Scott

HTML advice

Unread post by Mike Scott »

I'm hoping someone can advise me: my aim is to move from Dreamweaver to an alternative for web design.I program in Delphi and I've used H&M for many years. What I'd like is software that allows me to prepare web pages mostly needed for support for my programs but also personal use, with both WYSIWYG and code editing views, which helps produce pages which can be viewed by most users (presumably some cannot handle HTML5).

Is H&M itself my best answer? I have used it for the support pages of my program, would you think it good for general purposes too? Or would you recommend something else to complement it?

Cheers -- Mike
Mike Scott
Winsteps

Re: HTML advice

Unread post by Winsteps »

Mike, it sounds like what you want is what I've been doing for the last 10 years with HM. From the same HM file are done code-editing in text and XML views, HTMLHelp (.chm) for the software users, HTML for the public website, and PDFs for those who like printed copies or to download all the Help documents in one searchable file. After becoming familiar with HM, I gradually abandoned other tools (such as Word documents and custom text-formatters).

The only obvious deficiency is HM's low-capability search/replace function, so I augment it with 3rd-party search routines (one for code editing, and a different one for end-users).