How can I place a .CHM file on the Internet

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lalfonso.gonzalez

How can I place a .CHM file on the Internet

Unread post by lalfonso.gonzalez »

Perhaps I am too dumb, but how can I place a .CHM on the Internet ? Or can´t I ?

Done well, checked on my PC and it works just fine but when placed on the server (all files included) and called from Internet, MSI Explorer reports whether I want to open it or save it (why does it open it automatically) and when trying to open reports then the typical not found or session cancelled.

Can you assist ?

Many thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Lafonso,

You are not doing anything wrong. Microsoft no longer allows CHMs to be opened on network drives or on the Internet. This is a new security restriction because CHMs could easily be used to transport viruses and other malware -- they are potentially just as dangerous as EXE files.

For more details on this issue and some solutions for network drives (not for the Internet) see the post Action Canceled" MS update 896358 blocks CHMs in the Help & Manual 3 section of the forum. (It is at the top of the list)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.