Using "Top" as a link to the default page.

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dean Whitlock

Using "Top" as a link to the default page.

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

This is a terminology question - I'm looking for a consensus of opinion on what the users of my on-line help will understand most readily.

Currently, in my HTML-based formats (CHM and Browser-based), I have changed the topic template to put navigation links at the top and bottom of each page. The links are labeled Top, Prev, and Next. Prev and Next are pretty clear, I think, but I wonder about Top. In this case, it means "Jump to the first page of the on-line help".

On a Web page, "Top" usually means "Jump to the top of this page", while Home means "Jump to the home page of this site". I usually deliver browser-based help. Would it make more sense to label the link "Home" or perhaps "First"?

If the link appeared only at the top of each page, this would be a moot point. However, it also appears at the bottom of each page. I clicked it myself just now, because I wanted to get from the bottom of a long, scrolling page of text back to the top of the page. I found myself on the first page of the help (feeling stupid).

Is on-line help, when delivered through a standard browser, viewed as a Web site or as an on-line manual, or as something completely different? Are users going to expect "Top" to take them to the top of the page or to the First (that is, Home) page of the help Web site? :?

Thanks,
Dean
vanwerkum

Unread post by vanwerkum »

"Top" would normally imply top of current page.
"Home" would normally imply go to the normal entry point or top level of your site, e.g., "index.htm".
Jonathan S

Unread post by Jonathan S »

I agree that, for users that natively speak American English, Home would be a more clear indicator to take the user to the root page of the Help (or site). Top would lean more towards the beginning of a page, but could be understood either way, with experience.

If you have users in other regions and/or language groups, it would be good to ask a native speaker (or several) there.

Jonathan
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Thanks for both replies. Most of my readers are in the U.S., with a few in Canada. I'm feeling more confident that Top is most usually understood as Top of Page, while Home is better (though not perfect) to indicate the first page of the help topic. I'm not sure there is a perfect word in our multi-media world.

All other comments welcome!

And thanks again,
Dean