Image Clarity Help Needed

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Jonathan S

Image Clarity Help Needed

Unread post by Jonathan S »

I didn't know which forum to put this in, so if you want to move it, Tim, feel free.

I just switched machines at work, from a Dell desktop to a IBM Thinkpad notebook. After getting everything working properly, I went to create a screenshot for a presentation I need to do next week, and when I loaded the bitmap for editing, I noticed it was fuzzy. I have become so used to the sharp bitmaps I was getting from screencapture on the desktop, that I found this quite disturbing.

After fiddling with several settings in the Display options, I have still been unable to get a sharp bitmap screencapture. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know of a solution (other than doing my screenshots on the PC; I will if I have to, but it would be a real pain in the neck)?

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

After fiddling with several settings in the Display options
Which settings?

Are you running the notebook in native resolution?

Was the desktop hooked up to a CRT or LCD monitor?
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I have still been unable to get a sharp bitmap screencapture
With the screen capture function in Help & Manual? If yes, check the "zoom" setting in this dialog box - it could be that you unintenionally reduce the image size when you capture it. And since Help & Manual remembers the settings, once set, it will stay.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

How do the screenshots look when displayed on a different computer, particularly on a desktop with CRT instead of LCD? It may be the technology, which may mean that you are stuck! :(

Dean
Jonathan S

Unread post by Jonathan S »

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I was on a week long trip, then didn't see the thread when I got back. I did find the solution to this particular problem, though, and thought I'd put it in here.

The problem came from the Display settings, Appearance Tab, in the window opened when you click the Effects button on said tab. The second checkbox, "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:" was checked, and this was what was blurring my fonts at the pixel level.

Ostensibly this is to make things more readable, but with it off, I've had no problems. I don't know if anyone else will come across this, but it was a huge annoyance for me. Not an H&M problem, though.

Thanks again for the effort.

Jonathan