.chm vs WebHelp

This forum is for the discussion of the business and craft of writing help. For example writing style, choices of HTML Help or WinHelp or browser-based and so on...

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

MeganC

.chm vs WebHelp

Unread post by MeganC »

We are finally tackling the problem of the demise of Winhelp and moving to a new format. I have a bit of uncertainty between WebHelp and HTML Help (.chm). I know that .chm format will not work over networks, but what I want to know is, does WebHelp have any disadvantages over .chm? I've not really seen anything in my reading about the advantages and disadvantages of the two formats, other than the issue of working on networks or not.

We have customers using our software both on networks and on local machines, and I know I need to provide WebHelp for those working on networks, but is there any reason why .chm is better for those working on local machines, or should I just provide WebHelp for everyone?
Winsteps

Unread post by Winsteps »

Also converted from WinHelp, MeganC.
.chm HTMLHelp is one compressed file. Webhelp really needs its own folder.
For Help calls by software, .chm is nearer to WinHelp. But Microsoft's .chm interface has bugs which crash our software, so we always run .chm through a shelled interface as a separate process.
When I'm supporting end-users, Webhelp is really great, because I can give the users the exact URL of the relevant Help page on the support website.
MeganC

Unread post by MeganC »

Thanks Winsteps. I'll pass the information about running the .chm through a shelled interface to our developers, in case we have similar problems. I assume that will mean something to them.

Can WebHelp be shipped with the software, or would it have to be installed separately if they wanted to view it offline?

And as far as calling the help from within the software, does using WebHelp create issues with that? (I just write the help and have never been involved with that side of things, so I don't actually know how that happens at all.)
Malcolm Jacobson

Unread post by Malcolm Jacobson »

Hi Megan,
MeganC wrote:Can WebHelp be shipped with the software, or would it have to be installed separately if they wanted to view it offline?
Yes, WebHelp can be shipped with the software. It is much more flexible than CHM. The only downside is that instead of a single CHM file you have to install/manage a folder of files (the number of which is determined by the size of your project). Hopefully H&M will allow you to sort the HTML content into subfolders one day, but at the moment this isn't possible, so you end up with all of the project files in one folder.
MeganC wrote:And as far as calling the help from within the software, does using WebHelp create issues with that? (I just write the help and have never been involved with that side of things, so I don't actually know how that happens at all.)
Calling the HTML file is just a matter of creating a link to the index.html file for the main window, or the HTML file for the particular topic if you're creating context sensitve help.

I can't see any reason to stay with the CHM format any more.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

In defense of CHM it is really still an excellent choice for help installed locally on the user's machine together with the software. The problems that Winsteps describes are very rare, so that should not be a factor in the huge majority of cases. CHM is compact and efficient, easy to distribute and always works if deployed correctly. It also supports modular help, allowing you to distribute different versions of your help without republishing -- you just need to include or exclude additional CHM files, which are automatically merged into the TOC when the help is displayed if they are present.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
MeganC

Unread post by MeganC »

Thanks for the replies. A lot of it's still a bit fuzzy to me, but I've probably got enough info now to explain the options when we come to decide on a format. I'm sure I'll be back with some more specific questions at some point. :D