Page Breaks on PDF export and Print

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Zdenek Slanina

Page Breaks on PDF export and Print

Unread post by Zdenek Slanina »

If I printing (or exporting to PDF) project, I get unintentional page breaks before ANY (not every) topics.
In my project I don't use any manually inserted page break. In my print template every Band property Page Break is set to None (printing only section Topics).
I'm using Embedded topics in my project.
--
Version HM: 3.3.1.856 (previous version 3.3.0.815 do it same).
I can send small project witch this problem, if needed.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I don't have much experience with this because I generally only generate online help. However, there are a couple of pointers that might help:

Even if Page Break is set to "none" for Top Level Heading the page can still get bumped to the next page if there is not much space at the bottom of the page, so that it wouldn't look too good otherwise (just a heading and 1-2 lines at the bottom of the page isn't very pretty). Related to this, if your topics contain "invisible" paragraphs at the bottom -- i.e. just a few paragraph breaks / ENTER presses and empty spaces -- this can also bump the next page to a new page. You can check this by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and pressing Ctrl-A to select everything.

If you are using embedded topics from another .HM3 project it might be that you are using a different print template for that project, with different page break settings. Not sure if this is the cause, but it's worth checking.

You also might want to check whether any of your topic templates (in Project / Project Properties / HTML Export Layout / Topic Pages) contains any code that might be generating a page break. Also unlikely, but you never know.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Unintentional page breaks could also be caused by a "topic text placeholder" that is too large.

Take a look at the manual template - at the Topics section. How large is the topic text placeholder on the topic band? The height of this object determines the minimum height of the topic, that is, the space that must be available on the current page. If there isn't enough room on the page, the topic is shifted to the next page causing a page break. The topic text place holder should have a height of about an inch, not more. Just enough to fit two or three lines of text and to avoid single lines printed at the bottom.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH