HTML formatting of numbered/bulleted lists w/ images

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mve

HTML formatting of numbered/bulleted lists w/ images

Unread post by mve »

This is not necessarily a bug, but a formatting issue.

Some of my numbered/bulleted lists have text and small images (screen shots of tool buttons) in the list entries, where the images are approximately twice as tall as the text.

The formatting is correct in the H&M project, whether the entry takes up one or multiple lines. However, the format of the HTML output is funky if the number, entry text, and image can fit all on the same line - the number and image are top aligned while the entry text and image are bottom aligned. So although the number and entry text are the same font/size, they appear vertically offset.

H&M apparently translates numbered/bulleted lists into HTML table format, with the numbers in the first column and the entries in the second column. The rows are top aligned.

Making the rows bottom aligned doesn't solve the problem because if the entry takes up multiple lines, then the number will become bottom aligned with the last line of the entry.

It seems to me that the table format is not the right way to go. If you look at the help for Microsoft Excel, you'll see that it properly formats numbered/bulleted lists, using the <OL> and <LI> tagging.

Any thoughts or comments?
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Workaround answered in the user-to-user help group.
It seems to me that the table format is not the right way to go.
Version 2.0.anything exported <li> tags with bad results. The table format is the right way to go. We would have much more difficulties with cross-browser-based help, if we did not. And unnumbered lists are just half the bill. Numbered lists work the same way.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH