Page break doesn't work as expected

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

brunos

Page break doesn't work as expected

Unread post by brunos »

Page break doesn't work as expected in b649. If you have a topic with a line of text, e.g.:

This chapter contains step-by-step procedures.

and you want a page break right below it (so the next topic starts on top of the new page), when you insert the page break, it appears in H&M editing window, but it's ignored in PDF output. The only way to make it work is to insert any text below the page break mark, e.g. AAA, or a TAB:

This chapter contains step-by-step procedures.
(Explicit page break in print manual and pdf)
AAA

The trouble is that, of course, this text appears after the page break, on the next page, and all I want is just the page break! TAB itself produces an empty line before the topic, which is not good either

Regards,
Bruno
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Is the page break at the very end of the topic? The manual page breaks are only regarded if they are between at least two lines of text. Page breaks at the end of a topic are ignored.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
brunos

Page break - that's exactly the point

Unread post by brunos »

But, Alexander, that's exactly the point: I need to force next topic to start on a new page. How can I do it, except with the manual page break?

Please note that I don't want each topic of that level to be on a new page (I know I could use template for it). I want specific topic to start on a new page.

I tried to insert page break in the first line of the "next" topic, to no avail - it separated the topic title and the topic body.

I must admitt I don't see why page break should be ignored if it's the last in the text.

Regards,
Bruno
dc-systeme

Re: Page break - that's exactly the point

Unread post by dc-systeme »

Hi Bruno,

I have the same problem with build 651. Just a little workaround:

place a dot (".") under the pagebreak and format it as Arial, 4 pt. Set its color to light-gray (not white, it will be printed in black nevertheless).

The pagebreak will work, on the next page you may only suspect a little dot.

That's what I've done, and it works for me.

Greetings,

Pierre
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

That's a good idea. Here is another - completely invisible - workaround: insert a non-breaking space (character 255) after the page break: hold down the ALT key and type 2-5-5 on the numeric keyboard. Help & Manual interprets the non-breaking space as a valid character and does not truncate it.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
iandennis

Unread post by iandennis »

I also have this problem of 'occasional' page breaks being required between topics at a level where they are usually not. I tried the ALT 2 5 5 workaround, but it doesn't work for me (I still get no page break). Is there a newer workaround I don't know about?
Ilkka Viinikanoja

Unread post by Ilkka Viinikanoja »

I've solved this problem by inserting two page breaks whenever I want to force the next topic to start on a new page.

-Ilkka
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

iviinika wrote:I've solved this problem by inserting two page breaks whenever I want to force the next topic to start on a new page.
Cool!! If that works it's great -- I love that kind of solution. :lol:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.