Access violation in RICHED20.DLL

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rudolf

Access violation in RICHED20.DLL

Unread post by Rudolf »

Dear authors,

Much in admiration of H&M's philosophy, I've just bought a copy and started converting a manual to H&M format. However, after inserting some text, a couple of bitmaps, and a table, H&M now crashes reliably upon trying to generate a help file (PDF, HTML Help, or whatever) or upon attempting a "Print Preview".

When it crashes, it gives the following error message:
- Access violation at address 772CB59C in module 'RICHED20.DLL'. Read of address 056D0BA0.

It then proceeds to an access violation at address 00000000, and after a few of these messages crashes completely (usually by exiting).

I can supply the offending project file on request.

Do I need an updated rich-text editor DLL, or is this simply a bug in H&M?

With best wishes,
Rudolf Cardinal.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Answered via email.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Rudolf

Fix for access violation in RICHED20.DLL - update the DLL

Unread post by Rudolf »

<clipped from e-mail reply to Alexander Halser>

In the intervening hours since I filed the bug report, I seem to have fixed it too - I was running riched20.dll version 5.30.23.1203, and have now installed riched20.dll version 5.30.23.1205 (from a random site, namely http://www.paltalk.com/ALPHA/Download.html). The bug (which was very reliable) has totally vanished.

(DLL version numbers are easily viewed with DEPENDS.EXE, the Dependency Walker supplied with Microsoft Visual C++, if you happen to have this.)

I'm not absolutely sure at what point the bug kicked in; I found that if I generated plain HTML help the first compilation error (shown in the Messages log) occurred just after the first of many access violations in riched20.dll; that was while compiling an item with a bitmap in. I deleted that item, and then it just crashed somewhere else. The bug first came to light after inserting a table (done several times, nothing complicated, different tables on different occasions). If the program was restarted, it worked fine until the next attempt to Print Preview or generate any form of output. It occurred in both the evaluation and release versions of H&M 3.1.0.651.

Anyway, no problems since the DLL update.

<snip>

Rudolf.