Impict Save/Save As and Colour depth

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Graeme Martin

Impict Save/Save As and Colour depth

Unread post by Graeme Martin »

I'm not sure if you count this as a bug, but it is a slight confusion factor.

I am saving screen capures as 256 colour 8 bit maps. I need to do this because some Win 95 systems I create hlp files for don't cope with the 24 bit True Colour graphics

If I read in and edit a previously captured bit map (256 colour) and do a "save as" the setting for colour always comes up as True Colour 24 bit and I need to change it.

If you read in and edit a 256 colour but map and save it using "save" it reverts to a 24 bit True colour bit map - so you have to always do a save as after an edit an change the setting.
Graeme Martin
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Yes, I think this is a small bug -- or at least a glitch. I often forget to do this and end up with larger compiled helps than I need or expect.

BTW -- Impict's compression algorithm for images with small numbers of colors is generally excellent. I can usually get by with 16 colors, even with Windows XP screenshots, which saves a lot of space. I never have to use more than 256 colors, even for complex graphics.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.