Impict - "Text Rotation" doesn't work?

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jgodfrey

Impict - "Text Rotation" doesn't work?

Unread post by jgodfrey »

Hi All,

I have a need to rotate some text within an Impict file (Impict version 1.41). While the "Text Object" dialog contains a "Text Rotation" tool, it doesn't seem to work - all values result in standard, horizontal text.

Interestingly, clicking "Help" on the "Text Object" dialog brings up the help, complete with a picture of the dialog, though the dialog pictured does not contain the "Text Rotation" tool...

So, I'm guessing that text rotation is newer than the documentation, and apparently not yet ready for prime time?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Godfrey
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Jeff,

Text rotation is certainly newer than the documentation but in my installation of Impict 1.41 it works fine (see example below). Note that it is a little counter-intuitive in that the text is placed at the top left corner of its bounding box, and that this corner and the first letter of the text is also the center of rotation. So if you rotate to the left as I have in the example you must also enter top and left offset figures in order to be able to see the text at all.

However, since you say you get normally-positioned text no matter what values you enter this is probably not the problem in your case. If it really doesn't work I would suggest checking with EC Software support directly at support AT ec-software.com -- this isn't a problem I've ever seen myself and I suspect some technical problem with your installation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tim Green on Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jgodfrey

Unread post by jgodfrey »

Tim,

Thanks for the verification.

After further experimentation, it seems the problem is related only to certain fonts, and the initially selected font just happened to be problematic (though I don't know for sure what that font was, as the dialog appears to remember the previously selected font).

< ... more experimenting ... >

OK, it seems the fonts that don't work are Adobe fonts, while the ones that do work are standard TrueType fonts. So, do you think this is a limitation of Adobe fonts, or a bug in Impict with regard to Adobe fonts?

Anyway, my immediate problem is solved, as I can use TrueType fonts for the current issue...

Thanks,

Jeff
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

jgodfrey wrote:do you think this is a limitation of Adobe fonts, or a bug in Impict with regard to Adobe fonts?
Hi Jeff,

This is a Windows restriction, not Impict. The Windows API function CreateFontIndirect,
which is used to create a rotated version of a font at the required angle, works for TrueType
fonts only.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Martin,

Thanks for the information, added to my database. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.