Compiling Issues

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tinat

Compiling Issues

Unread post by tinat »

When trying to compile the .chm version of my manual, there are times when I cannot get it to compile. Yesterday, for example, I tried 6 different times, stopping the process after 30 minutes a piece. I rebooted my computer after each try. I stopped trying, and when I went back to do it again, it compiled without a problem, in the usual time, about 10 minutes. I never have a problem when I'm compiling the HTML version of my manual, only the .chm version. This is a problem that has sporadically happened before, and I usually do not have a problem if I reboot my computer. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

How big is your help project??? When I compile a chm it never takes longer than 5-10 seconds, and my working machine is a slow old PIII that only runs at 1MHz.

Alex will probably make some better suggestions but in the meantime the following questions occur to me:
  1. Are you using the latest version of the HTML Help compiler? It's available on Alex' website (http://www.ec-software.com)
  2. Which version of Windows are you using? Even though it probably doesn't have anything to do with your problem I wouldn't recommend anything earlier than 98 SE or Me for serious work, and Windows 2000 is a much better idea.
  3. Is your Windows installation "clean"? Hard disks defragmented regularly? No regular installation/deinstallation of unknown/trial shareware (this will clog up your machine faster than anything)?
I ask all these questions because basically, it sounds like there's something wrong with your computer configuration -- either a clogged-up Windows installation that needs to be deleted and reinstalled from scratch, or possibly even a hardware problem. One of the commonest causes of strange and unidentifiable problems on modern computers is cheap no-name memory. It may work for a while, but when it starts to fail it can cause strange, sporadic problems that are almost impossible to identify. Always insist on the best branded memory (Infineon, Samsung, Crucial, Kingston...) you can get and don't skimp.

Otherwise it sounds like you need to get someone to check your computer...sorry, but that's how it looks... :roll:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
brunos

Unread post by brunos »

Once, there was a bug, with H&M hanging when compiling CHM, on a topic containing nothing (no text), or entire body conditional for another export.

It happened to me when I marked all body in one topic for PDF. During CHM compile, H&M stopped on that topic, and remained there forever.

Anyway, this is not happening anymore in b651.

Regards,
Bruno