Unintended Language conversion

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

martin.df

Unread post by martin.df »

My source text is
Target file path may be; "N:\Incrmtl\~{C\myGoodies\subGoddies\myStuff.doc"
where N is your selected targe drive.

The compiled help CHM file translates this text to:
Target file path may be; "N:\Incrmtl\密睐秋镤殄筌篚馇镤溟弩茼□趱骀镢" 尖蚓麒弪  轶y秕 箦戾泗邃t狎珏d蜷鲥. 尖蚓 尖蚓集箴犷> 集怙澌> 集梏盱>

This is NOT what is intended. Any suggestions?

I am running H&M version 3.1.0.651

thank you
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hmm...just tested it on build 648 (haven't got around to updating...) and it worked fine, both in the compiled CHM and the source files (I checked both).

Looking at your example what's happening is clearly being triggered by/at the tilde character ( ~ ). What happens when you eliminate the tilde?

Have you made any changes in the project settings, for example in the extended HHP settings under HTML Help Export, or the font translation settings under HTML Export Layout?

Otherwise it may really be a bug in build 651 -- I'm sure Alex and other users will get back to you on this... :roll:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Where and in which context do you use this path/file name? Is this a link, a macro, an internet link, a HTML code object?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
martin.df

Thank you for your prompt reply.

If i eliminate the tilde then it works ok except i do need the tilde in the help file. I tried the font translation setting as auto, standard and none. It didn't make any difference. same results regardless of font translation setting.
martin.df

In reference to this question "Is this a link, a macro, an internet link, a HTML code object?" It is none of these, merely text typed in to the help text window of Help and Manual. The path is created by a folder copying program but i am merely typing it into the H&M window.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Is this text only? Which font is it formatted with? And what is the language setting of the help file?

The path doesn't contain any critical characters, but here is an idea that may help. I could imagine that you are using Windows 2000 or XP, the path on the clipboard is a unicode string and Help & Manual is unable to handle it correctly.

What happens if you insert the path name from the clipboard as text only (click Edit|Paste text). Does that work?
Alexander Halser
martin.df

Yes it is text only. Typed in, not copy and paste.

The H&M fonts are the defaults as installed.
Font translation: windows Arial, HTML Helvetica,Arial
and
special fonts Courier, courier new
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Could you please send me an example project (.hm3) by email to review this? I am curious what this could be, as I am unable to duplicate your problem with any setting and any 3.x version of Help & Manual. Please send it to support @ ec-software.com.
Alexander Halser