TTrainingCard will not re-activate Help

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

neil wood

Unread post by neil wood »

I have just downloaded TTrainingCard and have added it to my Delphi 5 application.

I seem to have it working OK. It displays the help topic and sends back data via TCard macros etc.

However, if I activate the training card help from my application, then close it down via the x on the system menu, I cannot re-activate it - that is I do the same calls as I did when it first worked but no matter what no training card help re-appears. I get no messages. (My ordinary help i.e. Application.Helpfile still works).

I have to re-boot and then when I do I can again get the training card help to appear once. But when I close it down I cannot again get it unitl I reboot.

I am using Win 95.
Neil
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

I recommend to isolate the problem with a small test application. It's almost impossible to determine whats wrong with your regular implementation. Here are just a few tips:

(a) Use a separate help file for the training card

(b) Use only one TTrainingCard component in the main form. The component should only be created once when the application starts and destroyed when it terminates.

(c) Don't mix regular help calls and training card help calls at the same time. In T.N.T we shut down the regular online help before the training card help gets displayed and vice verca.

(d) The test application should write an event log which messages have appeared and whether they were handled correctly by your application. Do you get the CLOSE message when you click on the [X]?
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
neil wood

Unread post by neil wood »

Alexander,

thanks for those suggestions. Unfortunately, they did not solve my problem, but I was able to work it out more by accident than anything else.

I was trying to bring up the training cards in a secondary window, and could not get TTrainingCard to do so - so instead I brought it up in the main window (via a ContextHelp call) and then immediately jumped to a secondary windw's topic and closed the main window (via WinHelp macros).

When I removed the macro that closed the main window, my problem vanished !

However, I now had two windows open and I cannot see a way around this as as soon as I close the main window I have the problem back again.

So now I have designed my training help to only run in the main window - which would be fine except I would really like to be able to get rid of the buttons (Contents, Index and Back - Print too as I can always add it where I want it.)

In your demo you do not have these buttons - how do you do that ?

Thanks
Neil
Neil
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

In your demo you do not have these buttons - how do you do that
You can remove the buttons completely when you overwrite the window settings that Help & Manual exports to the help compiler.

• Click Project|Properties
• Switch to Winhelp -> Extended HPJ Settings
• Enter the following lines:

Code: Select all

[WINDOWS]
Main="My little training card",(643,164,367,541),4,(r14417919),(r12632256),f3
The parameters 643,164,367,541 define the window position and size.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH