System runs out of resources

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

System runs out of resources

Unread post by Tim Green »

Note:
This is posted for Stanislav by the admin because he is having trouble accessing the forums with his Russian version of Windows 98.

Stanislav can be reached on the forum as the user "TB Soft"

Hello all!

I'm using H&M under Win98 (Russian edition, if it is important). As usual I have several applications running on the system, including the ones that our company develops and that we need to document by means of H&M. All that time the system works well. But if I start H&M, something about 10-15 minutes passed as the system run out of resources. There is no doubt that this is the H&M activity leads to the exhaustion. Actually all other application start to stumbple, for example MS SQL server refuses to accomplish new transactions, and new applications can not be launched, because the system reports that memory is insufficient.

While working with H&M I do not do anything extraordinary, just type a text and switch from H&M to our program and back (via Alt-TAB). This switching occures very often because I need to look at user interface of our program for documentation purposes.

Does anyone have an idea how we could overwhelm the problem? It is simply a disaster on our way of using H&M.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Korotky.
Last edited by Tim Green on Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Stanislav,

Sounds to me as though your computer is simply running out of resources, which is not really a problem with H&M. This happens quite easily on DOS-based versions of Windows. If you need stability and security and want to run a lot of resource-hungry applications at the same time I would strongly recommend an NT-based Windows version with plenty of good quality memory from a company like Infineon, Corsair, Kingston, Samsung or Mushkin. Don't ever buy no-name memory for modern computers -- it almost always causes weird problems sooner or later, and fails when the damage can be greatest.

What you are describing sounds like it needs at least NT4/SP6a with 512MB, Windows 2000/SP2 with 1GB would probably be even better. :wink:

In my personal painful experience, using DOS-based Windows for serious work is always trouble -- sooner or later. :evil:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
TB Soft

Unread post by TB Soft »

Hi Tim!

I use a lot of other software under my Win98, including those that are very resource-consuming (a couple instances of DB-aware applications, SQL Server, InterBase, Borland IDE, MS Word, etc.). All the software runs smoothly even if a physical memory ends up and a virtual memory is used instead.

Some other problems with fonts have been observed even under your preferable Win2000. In fact, at some point there is only one font remains in the font list shown by H&M. I think this is very strong indication that H&M itself has errors in resource allocation - perhaps some canvas of font handles are not release properly after use.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Korotky
TB Soft

Unread post by TB Soft »

Hi Tim, once again!

I don't know if the developers of H&M read this forum, but it would be better for them to read (for the sake of their product).

After re-reading your posting one new though struck me. It is known that testing process of an application should include a stress test - that is running application in an environment with low system resources (with, say, 64Mb or with a lot of other applications that use all physical memory). It seems that H&M was not tested for this situation.

Also I must say that if you in turn usually use the systems with 512Mb and above, then you will perhaps never feel and never find memory or resource leaks in your software. And this is bad. In over words Win98 with 128Mb or less is the best operating system for bug finding.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Korotky.