Single quote character in the topic name causes CHM to fail

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

brunos

Single quote character in the topic name causes CHM to fail

Unread post by brunos »

Assume you create a new topic named as:

The 'Globals' Object

This creates the topic ID as:

The'Globals'Object

The spaces are filtered out from the ID, but the quotes remained. Obviously, H&M believes that they are harmless. True? It seems not (at least on my W2K system, English version). In a HM3 file I've had three topics with such sinqle quotes. When I compiled to CHM, I've got strange script errors, claiming that the ')' is missing. I suspected the quotes immediately; I removed them manually from the topics ID, and recompiled; everuthing worked after that.

I'm not sure if this would be repeatable elsewhere; my topic templates are heavily customized. Should strange script errors happen to you, check for the quotes in topic IDs - perhaps these are causing errors.

I propose that single quotes to be filtered out from the topic ID automatically in some future release.

Regards,
Bruno
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

As a basic rule I always avoid any characters above ASCII 127 (i.e. just 1-0, a-z and A-Z) for all non-text purposes like IDs, variable names etc. etc... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
brunos

Unread post by brunos »

I agree - but I prefer not to edit *each-and-every* topic ID by hand, since the stripping functionality is already there - it just has to be tuned to work properly.

Regards,
Bruno