Keyword index in HTM fails with n quote in the topic id

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

brunos

Keyword index in HTM fails with n quote in the topic id

Unread post by brunos »

A small test: what's wrong with this topic name?

Searching by applying a Shell's desktop

I'll tell you what: it produces the topic ID as:

SearchingbyapplyingaShell'

and this id causes a run time error in Internet Explorer when the keyword index is displayed, claiming that ")" is required.

This time it took me 20 minutes to find it out, since firstly I taught it's because of the quote in the title header, so I took it away, and re-exported; but the error was still there. Then, I took it away from the topic caption in the TOC; but the error (of course) was still there. Finally, I remembered to check the ID box.

Next time I'll try not to be so stupid.

Bruno
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

I fought with this little gotcha for a while too. Now I've simply gotten into the habit of always checking and editing the IDs of my new topics. I agree that all non-alphanumeric ASCII characters should be filtered out automatically, though.

I also always edit the IDs to make them easier to find when making links. I try to give them a prefix matching their chapter or category, like INF_, DLG_, INTR_, MNU_ and so on... :wink:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.