v3.2: Browserhelp w/o graphics

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Layer2

v3.2: Browserhelp w/o graphics

Unread post by Layer2 »

Hi,
when generating browsable HTML-Files in german, the characters "ä", "ö", "ü" in textareas are correctly translated into HTML (like &auml)

Problem is this doesn't work for linked filenames. So, when generating help containing these characters in filenames they are working for Winhelp, chm-Help and local copies of browsable help, but when accessing the pages through a webserver, e.g. apache, these filenames are not recognized and so graphics aren't displayed.

Perhaps there should be something done about this. At least there should be a hint on the problem in the helpfile.

Cu, Ralf
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Maybe, but despite Microsoft's ongoing claims that you can now use ASCII > 127 in filenames the truth is, you cannot and should not. Using German Umlauts or anything like them in filenames is a 100% recipe for trouble sooner or later.

Microsoft has actually made the situation worse by not flagging these characters as an error as soon as they are entered -- then there would be no problem. As it is, you are allowed to enter them in filenames and think you're safe, but sooner or later filenames with these characters in them will blow up in your face, believe me... :?

The trouble is, there are just too many applications and systems around where filenames like these will cause problems. Personally, I think that H&M should also refuse all ASCII>127 characters in all IDs, filenames and everything else that has to be processed by the machine at any time. But then this is one of the things I'm an extremist on... :twisted:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Olivier Beltrami

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

Personally, I think that H&M should also refuse all ASCII>127 characters in all IDs, filenames and everything else that has to be processed by the machine at any time. But then this is one of the things I'm an extremist on...
I agree. Anything that the user does not see should definitely be ASCII < 127.
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data