H&M4.20 1014: ...not a valid HTML tag...

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Vladimir

H&M4.20 1014: ...not a valid HTML tag...

Unread post by Vladimir »

If the "Export XHTML 1.1 compliant HTML" option is selected (Project Properties -> HTML Help -> HTML Export Options), H&M4.20 1014 adds this line to exported htm files: <?xml version="1.0"?>. Then the HTML help compiler generates the following errors: HHC3004:Warning: topic_ID.htm:<?xml version="1.0"?> is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).
Moreover, if the "Export UTF-8 encoded HTML" option is selected, this line starts with 3 HEX characters: EF BB BF.
I tested this on two projects: new and existing ones.
H&M 4.15 does not generate this line.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Vladimir,

This is not a bug, it is the correct XHTML syntax. Also, all UTF-8 encoded files must contain these three bytes at the beginning of the file. This is the Byte Order Mark (BOM) that is required to identify Unicode/UTF-8 encoding. The compiler error message simply means that you are using an outdated version of the HTML Help compiler, which does not understand XHTML. You can download the correct version from the EC Software website, here:

http://www.ec-software.com/downloads_mscomp.html

Please uninstall the old version of the compiler before installing the new one. After installing, go to Tools > Customize > Compilers in H&M and make sure the path to the HTML Help compiler is still correct.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Vladimir

Unread post by Vladimir »

Well, why when H&M 4.15 does not generate this line?
woody

I have HM 5.1.0 and get the same message

Unread post by woody »

I receive this message everytime I publish to html Help

HHC3004: Warning: 3frame_header_dummy.htm : The HTML tag "?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

The resultant chm file works just fine.
But ..is there any way to get rid of this message?
I tried what was mentioned above but it didn't do a thing.

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Woody,

This means that you are using a Premium Pack skin with the wrong settings. You need to do the following:
  • In the Project Explorer go to Configuration > Publishing Options > HTML Help > HTML Export Options and activate the check box for XHTML 1.1, which is needed for optimum performance with the Premium Pack skins.
  • When you publish your CHM file deselect the "3 Frame" option in the Include Options box in the Publish dialog. This option is only valid for Webhelp.
    • That should fix it. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.