Synchronization topic/TOC lost in HTM, after jump from Index

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

brunos

Synchronization topic/TOC lost in HTM, after jump from Index

Unread post by brunos »

I've noticed a problem with switching back and forth between Keyword Index and Table of Contents. There's a glitch which reduces its usability.

To make sure that's not the fault of my heavy customizing, I tested it on the Help & Manual web documentation on the Help & Manual Web site, and it behaves in the same (from my point of view, undesired) way.

Let's suppose you want to learn something about sections of bands of Print Designer, but you don't want to scroll entire TOC, so you click the keyword Index and hower About Bands, and then click on Sections. So you're there on the Section, Bands and Objects topic. But, the detail you're looking for is not there. Thus, you want to see other topics in the same chapter, perhaps it's there. What you would normally do? You would click the Contents link, expecting that it will - as it does in HTML Help - expand TOC with that chapter, keeping open the Section, Bands and Objects topic.

Alas, it closes it and returns to the home topic.

This makes impossible using keyword index for the initial retrieval, and then continue to dig in depth through related topics in the table of contents.

Therefore, my first question: how to avoid this?

I taught I've found the remedy (at least, a partial one). I click the Back button, and the topic is back.

Therefore, my second question: how to update the Keyword Index template so it performs the back action automatically?

But, the TOC is not synchronized on it. What is missing here, is the forced synchronization button, similar to Locate.

So, my final question: how to force synchronization of topics in the described situation?

Regards,
Bruno