Error 1176

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

tinat

Error 1176

Unread post by tinat »

Hi,
When I am running spell check and I have set a word to Change All, I am getting Error 1176. This is happening as I am spell checking through several pages and just have a word set to change every time it comes up. I don't get this error every time the word is changed, it is sporadic. I am running v4.3.1 Build 1211.
Thanks, Tina
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tina,

I can't reproduce this on a couple of quick tests. Could you send a demo project illustrating the problem to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @)? (Just the .HMX project file please, don't include any graphics or other external files.)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
tinat

Unread post by tinat »

It's nothing that I can recreate consistently, unfortunately. It doesn't happen all the time and there doesn't appear to be one thing that triggers it. I actually just ran through about half my project and didn't get it.
Thanks, Tina
rob.jongejan

Unread post by rob.jongejan »

Wow... I have the same error occuring... :cry:
I have H&M version 4.5 installed and the Dutch spellchecker.
Maybe it is to old? It suddenly apears when I'm typing, no matter if its on my desktop or laptop PC ( desktop has version 4.0.0 and laptop 4.5 both the same spellchecker)

As far as I can see now it helps if the live spelling-check is disabled in the Spell Checker configuration.

Probably that couses unpredictable actions in H&M when accidently wrong keys are pressed...... :oops:
Maybe a helpfull hint
For sure a BUG if the problem persists..... :?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

Codes 1171-1176 are debug messages for trapped errors. This is probably an error to do with the live spell check and it is very rare. Can you reproduce it reliably? Otherwise we have no way to track it down. It may have something with the spell check Ignore List (Tools - Spell Check - Config - Ignore List), do you have anything selected there? If so, do the errors stop if you deselect everything again?

Another possibility is that it may have something to do with the number of dictionaries you are using. How many main dictionaries and user dictionaries do you have selected?

Is the problem project-specific? I.e. does it occur only in one project or in all projects that you edit?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rob.jongejan

Codes 1171-1176 are debug messages for trapped errors. This is probably an error to do with the live spell check and it is very rare. Can you reproduce it reliably? Otherwise we have no way to track it down. It may have something with the spell check Ignore List (Tools - Spell Check - Config - Ignore List), do you have anything selected there? If so, do the errors stop if you deselect everything again?

Another possibility is that it may have something to do with the number of dictionaries you are using. How many main dictionaries and user dictionaries do you have selected?

Is the problem project-specific? I.e. does it occur only in one project or in all projects that you edit?
As far as I could detect : Yes, I did reproduce it on the project I work on but it does not appear allways. It looks like some key-hits or copy-paste things triggers it.
No, I didn't check it on other projects (no time for it to check right now)
No, I do not use the spellcheck ignore list.
Yes, if I don't use the live-spell check it seems not to trap the error
Yes, I did checked the English AND Dutch dictionaries, but now I only use the Dutch dictionary (because I only need this one)

Basic conclusion : The error seems not to appear when I only disable the live-spellcheck (as far as I can see for now ).
On both systems (desktop and laptop) the same error did occur, even on different copies of the (same) project.

I'm now in the middle of a project and have to spend all my time on creating the helpmanual, so anything that panic's my work just irritate (like the error wich appears ;-)
As far as I can detect the error disappears when I disable the spellchecker and I can just reproduce it accasionally.
In some cases it freeses the whole application and the only thing I could do is cancel the program and restart it. It detects the recovery file so no work is lost.
mariandl

Unread post by mariandl »

Hi Rob,

I just had Error 1176, too. It occured, after I checked both German and English dictionary in Global Settings and wanted to start the spell checker for all topics from first. H&M crashed and I had to restart it.
Afterwards, I unchecked the German dictionary and now the spell checker is working fine again.
Maybe there are problems, if mulitple dictionarys are checked in Global Settings?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Mariandl,

This is interesting, but we can't reproduce it. Could you provide some details on your system -- Windows version, H&M version and build number, any other programs running at the same time (particularly resident programs in the notification area of the Windows taskbar)?
Regards,

Private support:
rob.jongejan

Well. Tim,
It's obvious that thist should be a problem in the spell-checker and it occurs when you have more than one language active.
Perhaps it's usefull to checkout if the language files of the spellchecker are consistent or so???
I don't know how those things work, but this comes to me as the first thing to checkout
mariandl

Unread post by mariandl »

Actually, I also can't reproduce it now. When I activate the German dictionary (in addition to the English one) again, the spell checker still works. Maybe I removed a word or mistake, that caused the problem.
System: Win XP Professional, SP2
Help&Manual 4.5.0 Build 1306
Tim Green
Site Admin

I've asked the developers to have a look at it but these sporadic things are very hard to track down. It would be good to know if this turns up in all projects or just in specific projects. If only in specific projects we need to have a look at the project file.
Regards,

Private support: