Line break splits words that are in multiple styles

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jweissman

Line break splits words that are in multiple styles

Unread post by jweissman »

I have some text where a single word in parentheses must be in a text style in the middle of a line of text that's in another paragraph style. IE

The word just ahead in parentheses (differentWord) is in a different style but the parens are in the main sentence style.

I am getting a line break after the open paren.

What can I do to change this besides putting the parens into the same text style as the word, which would be wrong? The enclosed term must be in our code font. I could manually change to the font, but would prefer to use the style in case we have to change the code font someday.

Thanks,

Jessica
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jessica,

This is an annoying limitation of the editor engine in Help & Manual. It treats text with different styles as separate objects and breaks them at the style change barrier. We are leaning on the programmers of the editor very hard to get this changed, but unfortunately it may take some time. At the moment the only way to prevent it is to have everything that absolutely must not break in the same style. Sorry... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jweissman

just to be sure

Unread post by jweissman »

so it should work okay if I leave the style the same but make equivalent manual formatting changes, right?

- Jessica
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: just to be sure

jweissman wrote:so it should work okay if I leave the style the same but make equivalent manual formatting changes, right?
That should be OK -- what is important is that there is no "break" of any kind between the elements. You can check this by running through the text with the cursor and watching the status bar below the editor window. If there is any item, coding or format change beween the text and the period then you will get a break.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Hi Tim,

I'm afraid that manual formatting changes have the same effect as style changes. They do create a break and text will wrap at any break. For example, if you use Ctrl+B to bold the last word in a sentence but do not include the period (stop) at the end, the line could wrap between the word and the period. You'll get a similar effect in captions for links. If you have a bold word in the middle of your link caption, you'll get three consecutive links, one for the initial non-bold text, one for the bold text, and one for the ending non-bold text. :(

Dean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dean,

That's exactly what I mean: Any coding change/interruption will trigger the dreaded break, it doesn't matter if it's manual or style-applied.
Regards,

Private support:
Dean Whitlock

Unread post by Dean Whitlock »

Tim,
Sorry :oops:
I read your reply too quickly and misunderstood.
-Dean