OLE equations

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Frank Whitehead

OLE equations

Unread post by Frank Whitehead »

I use the OLE objects to make equations in my document. These are built with Microsoft equation editor 3.1. They look fine in the H&M window. They also compile fine into HTML help. However under Win2000 when they are made into a PDF file the equations go very odd. For most equation, however not all, pairs of brackets are turned into large elongated ellipses which cover most of the original equation. In desperation I tried H&M under Win98, much better however not perfect. From 30-40 bad equations I was down to 3. These I managed to fix by re-writing the equations without the brackets.

I have also noticed that the equation editor does not seem to always save properly the results of a change. You change the equation and the result shows up on the H&M window, however the save button on the H&M indicates that nothing has changed and when you go to another topic and come back the changes you have made are gone.

I have also had problems with PDF and OLE pictures created in word. Basically flow diagrams. The text in the diagram is missing or in the wrong place, the text boxes and lines are ok. If these are converted to embedded images then they come out ok. I get these problems both under W2000 and W98.

There seems to be a general problem with OLE objects.

I am using version 3.2.0.702 of H&M.