Tab from RTF OK in HM4 editor but wrong in CHM

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Robert McConnell

Tab from RTF OK in HM4 editor but wrong in CHM

Unread post by Robert McConnell »

I'm having trouble at a place where Word uses a style with a hanging indent (of 1.5 inches and a tab of 1.5 inches). When the .rtf file is imported into HM4 the paragraph appears correct in the editor but when the paragraph begins with a tab, the 1.5 inch tab value seems to be ignored and a much smaller tab value (about 0.3 inches) substituted in the resulting .chm file.

Attached files (in hmbug_1.zip):
hmbug_a.gif correct format as viewed in bug1.hmx file
hmbug_b.gif. incorrect format as viewed in bug1.chm file
bug1.hmx source file (see "Lesson 1")
bug1.chm compiled output (see "Lesson 1")
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Robert,

This is not a bug. The problem is that you are using paragraphs with hanging indents without anything on the left side of the indent. Since tabs are completely unknown in HTML (they just don't exist) these paragraphs must be converted to tables and this doesn't work well if there is nothing in the left-hand cell. The solution is to use a plain indent (for example define an additional style) rather than a hanging indent for the paragraphs where there is no content to the left of the indent.

I'm deleting the file attachment because it is no longer needed. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Robert McConnell

Unread post by Robert McConnell »

Tim,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Your alternative makes sense, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to change styles in hundreds of already existing pages. Oh well, might as well get on with it.

-rob