Subscript does not reproduce in HTML

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

michael-maleny

Subscript does not reproduce in HTML

Unread post by michael-maleny »

I am creating a manual with lots of pictures of buttons. As the buttons are larger than the text they tend to ride a little high when viewed. To counter this I select the picture, select Format>Font>Subscript. The picture then sits nicely with the text. The problem comes with the output. When I generate the file, the topic has the pictures riding high again.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michael,

This is a clever idea but it won't work in HTML, which will only apply the subscript shift to text, not to images. If you're displaying inline images there is no easy way to move them below the baseline of the text. The simplest solution is to remove the drop shadow from the images and edit them to make sure that there is no whitespace at all at the bottom. Then they will sit exactly on the baseline and look OK.

Theoretically you could enclose the images in HTML block elements like <div> tags and give them a negative bottom margin but this won't work for inline text -- then the images would sit on their own in their own "paragraphs" with text above and below them. If you give them an attribute to display inline the margins will be ignored, so you are back where you started.

PS: Please don't post such huge screenshots, they make threads very difficult to read for users with small monitors and low monitor resolutions. I've removed them now because they are no longer needed.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.