Pictures are displaying without spacing in HTML

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

michael-maleny

Pictures are displaying without spacing in HTML

Unread post by michael-maleny »

The pictures in H&M show spacing when viewed (and when the paragraph properties are accessed). Upon generation to a HTML the spacing is removed and they are jammed up into the bottom of my text. (my text only has spacing before and not after as this works best for spacing control).

Related to this is the fact that my pictures are meant to be of the style "Image Caption" however the problem pictures are of the style "Image Caption+" indicating that some underlying extra formatting has been applied to the picture (although none has been added, just a file inserted). If I select the picture (via clicking on it) and select "image Caption" as its style it does not revert to this style. However if I highlight the picture (top left to bottom right) and select "image Caption" as its style it does become that style (Thus generating a great HTML!). This seems to indicate that there is more than just the picture involved in the paragraph and some other formatting is overriding the pictures inherited fromatting.

When I import a picture into a paragraph that is not "image caption" style, it comes in as "Image Caption+" and therefore will output badly.

The only time it imports properly is if the whole paragrah is oh the style "image Caption".

My main problem is that it looks fine on screen in H&M but not when outputted. Therefor I have to be very careful and double check the formatting and spend a lot of time making sure their are no "errors" in formatting.

Any ideas on whats happening?
Cheers
Michael
michael-maleny

Unread post by michael-maleny »

As an addendum, the pictures do not align Left/right correctly either and jam up to the left.
This seems to bear some relation to the bug posted by Laura-Look on 05-11-07 re:Image alignment changed in 4.4.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Michael,

This is not a bug. You have probably selected alignment options for your images when you inserted them or you have inserted the images in the same paragraph -- or possibly both. Try double-clicking on the images in the H&M editor and check the "Alignment" setting. This should be "with text".

Then turn on paragraph and text marks in the H&M editor so that you can see your paragraph end marks (Tools > Customize > Editor > Show paragraph and text marks). If you want your images to display below one another you must put them on separate paragraphs. If they are in one paragraph in the H&M editor they will display above one another because there is nowhere else for them to go. In a browser it is often different.

Images always have the style "Image caption" for the image caption text that you can add to the image itself (double-click on the image to enter this). You have to be a little careful to make sure that this style does not get added to the rest of the text in the same paragraph as the image. If you want to apply captions to images that stay with the images without using this feature you must use a table.

PS: Please do not post such huge screenshots, they make threads very difficult to read for people with small monitors and monitors with low resolutions. Shrink the screenshots down in a graphics program and only include the parts you need to demonstrate your problem.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.