Text search in browser based help causes javascript error

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Melinda

Text search in browser based help causes javascript error

Unread post by Melinda »

I just discovered that my browser based help projects cannot be searched. The "Done, but with Errors" icon shows in the bottom corner, and the error is 'urls' is undefined. This has been happening since last year in August or so, but I hadn't been alerted to it until now. It used to work in previous editions. I have Windows XP. I have 3 published web based help projects and the full text search doesn't work for any of them now. I can export the same projects to eBook and the search works. Please advise.
John Waller

Unread post by John Waller »

1) Which version of H&M are you running?

Current version is 4.5 build 1306
http://www.ec-software.com/downloads.html

2) Can you provide more detail about the exact error message? Perhaps post a screenshot (or a link to one)?

Regards

John Waller
Regards

John Waller
v.6.2.2 Build 2636
Melinda

Unread post by Melinda »

Thank you for your reply.

I am running H & M Professional Edition, Version 4.5.0 Build 1306. I installed the new version and recompiled it before I posted.

I tried to post a link but it erased that post since I haven't posted before so attached is a screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Melinda,

Try this:
  • Make sure that the option "Enable local testing for Internet Explorer" is switched off when you compile (in the Compile dialog).
  • Go to Project Properties > Browser-based Help and use the Reset Defaults button in each template to reset it to the standard settings (Topic Pages, TOC, Index, Search). Make backups of your own edited versions if you have made changes, of course.
  • Then recompile using the option "Delete all files in output folder".
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Melinda

Unread post by Melinda »

I did all of the things you mentioned as well as creating new empty html folders but the Search still comes back with the same error.

I don't know if there is a clue in the compiler message, but here is the text incase it means anything:

Compiler Messages

Deleting all files in target folder C:\OperationsSupport\HTML

Customized script file "C:\Program Files\HelpandManual4\Templates\html\zoom_search.js" is beeing used.

Generating Full-text Search Index...

Start indexing (offline mode)
Warning: Low RAM. Indexer may run very slowly
Indexing completed
INDEX SUMMARY
Files indexed: 26
Files skipped: 23
Files filtered: 0
Files downloaded: 0
Unique words found: 1138
Total words found: 5094
Avg. unique words per page: 43
Avg. words per page: 195
Start index time: 09:51:50 (2008/01/22)
Elapsed index time: 00:00:00
Errors: 0
Total bytes scanned/downloaded: 190375
File extensions:
.htm indexed: 26

Files to distribute
You must deploy the following files:

All files in C:\OperationsSupport\HTML\
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Melinda,

If you have insufficient memory and are also running other programs at the same time the indexer may not have enough memory to work properly. However, if you are using the current version of the program and have not made manual editing changes to your HTML code these error messages should not be displayed. We'd like to have a look at your project to be sure. Please pack just the .HMX file (no graphics, no other files) in a ZIP or RAR archive (necessary to prevent files from being stripped by some mail providers) and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @). Thanks! :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.