H&M 4 'breaks' desktop icons (but not disastrously!)

Please post bug reports for earlier versions of Help & Manual (3 and 4) here, along with reports for TNT.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Halloway

H&M 4 'breaks' desktop icons (but not disastrously!)

Unread post by Halloway »

If I minimise H&M4 then randomly some of my desktop icons get a bit mangled up. The effect is random - a series of minimising and maximising actions will corrupt different icons to different degrees. The icons still work OK and I can 'restore' them by maximising a window belonging to a different application or just clicking on them.

There's a screen shot attached.

I am running XP Pro SP2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ermmm..... Since this has never ever been reported by anyone else and I've never seen it myself I would tend to say that it's not possible. OTOH, there is your screenshot and if this happens when you minimize H&M it must at least be triggering it.

I've asked our programmers about this but I can't imagine that H&M is directly involved, at most indirectly. Do you have any kind of special graphics system or graphics driver or anything else unusual about your system?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

That's most likely got something to do with your graphics adapter and/or the driver. I've seen this myself on some slow computers. The desktop background doesn't get properly updated. At least not in time. If you move any window in front of the cut-off icons and move it away again, Windows will repaint them. You will see this kind of effect with probably any larger application. A fully loaded MSIE window that is minimized will have pretty much the same effect, I believe.

If you have a slow graphics adapter, I recommend to switch off most of the interactive effects that the Windows UI provides. In "Display Properties > Appearance", click "Effects". Switch off "Show shadows under menus" and "Show window contents while dragging". That improves graphics performance a lot.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Halloway

Unread post by Halloway »

It could be my machine - it is a bit flaky sometimes!